custom cooler

So I got the coolermaster notepal U3.  Its really good.  But the small 80mm fans are cheap.  They barely cool and the usb cable broke at the tip so now its useless.

The metal in the back also broke but not a big deal.  I can fix that with another strip.  Or Just leave it be and turn it around so it sticks out the back.  And the round part becomes a wrist rest.

Anyhow I  got this from bestbuy.  Its really good.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/thermaltake-riing-120mm-case-cooling-fan-kit-with-rgb-lighting/5588906.p?skuId=5588906

It was on sale for for 44 something plus tax.  So 49.49 total instead of 59.99 plus tax.  So very good deal.  Coolermaster replacement fans are only 12.99.  But plus shipping is close to 20 and 40 for 2 sets.  3 fans each.  6 total.  But the 3 it came with barely cooled 10 degrees celsius.  And a second set might not do much good.

But at least the riing fans are available locally.  And if one breaks its only ab out 15 to replace one of the broken fans.  Instead of buying the whole kit from coolermaster

And it comes with an external controller.  Controlls fan speed, colors and play and pause.

Play pause does not work.  But only because I am using an external power supply.  If it was motherboard connected it might work.  But I don't need that.  2 speeds and colors are good enough.  And there is even an off setting so no colors show like at bed time.

Only thing is the fans the notepal came with wre clipped in the some square holders.  But those are cheap and broke also.  But no need.  I discovered the holes in the notepal are the exact same size as the screws the riing fans come with.  So it screwed right in.  The fans hit my lap however.  So I just turned the unit around.  The flat part is on my lap.  And the laptop sits directly on the fans.  But it works great now.  And the round back is the wrist rest.

Now after 30 minutes of idle I can go as low as 15c.  It really works great.  And its static pressure fans.  Normal ones do no good.  These are so much better.

And I forgot to mention how it all connects.  I got this also.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9F94670675

Its supposed to be a PWM cable.  Or at least description says PWM passthrough.  But it only has 2 pins.  So it does not do fan speed some reviews say.  But the external controller box does speeds.  Only 2.  Maybe more if it was PWM not sure.  My old mother board only 2 speeds also.  But its only 3 pin not 4 pin connectors on my ancient motherbaord.  And play/pause does not work on the controller either.  But it is not necessary for me.  Just unplug it and its off.

And I got this.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812123309

There is a 5 amp version available from other makers.  But its 2 pin only so it cannot power a hard rive if needed.  I realized after I bought it was not 5 amp.  But 5 amp I saw on amazon has 2 pins only.  So this is better.  But its  2 amp only.  But according to bestbuy its 2.53 watts and 12 volts.  So V / A 2.53 / 12 = 0.21083333333.  I think its per fan and not for all 3 because similar single fans are also about the same.  But 0.21 x 3 fans is 0.63.  Still under 2amps.  Not sure if I can connect a hard at the same time also.  But for fans good enough.  And maybe the controller uses some amps also but not sure.

So its not portable but at least while sitting on the sofa I can keep cool.


https://www.frys.com/product/8409198?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

There is a usb cable also to 12v fan.  But usb is only 5 volts so not sure how that works.  And some other cables reviews said usb is only 5 volts so fans run at 40 percent speed.  So not sure how this cable converts to 12v.

But why risk frying my laptop.  So external was better.  If it frys it will be my fans at the most and not the whole laptop due to a faulty usb connector.

And 140mm was to big.  120mm was the only one that fit.  Not sure if one 200 or 240mm would cool any better.  But even though these three 120mm do not cover the whole laptop it still reaches the whole unit.  Air is so powerful.  Cools the whole 15.6 inch laptop.  Now I got 15 c on idle after 30 minutes of  running the fan.  I even went as low as 13 c.  Its so good now.  No more hot lap.

Its a HP with touch screen.

15-AY009DX









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

leaky toilet fixed